Saturday, May 30, 2009

64: Love These Books!

I love to read. I mean really l-o-v-e to read! Ever since I was little I've had my nose in a book, a magazine, the newspaper - whatever. These are some of my all-time favorite books . . .

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers: This is one of those books that I absolutely could not put down once I got about three chapters into it. I remember reading it for hours at a time when Hubby was out of town, only putting it down when I absolutely had to - you know to sleep or take care of the girl :-) It's a retelling (of sorts) of Hosea - probably not one of the "most-read" books in the Bible - but the message is unbelievable. It made me see God's love for me in a completely different light. (Actually, I've read most of Ms. Rivers books now and they are all fabulous - the Mark of the Lion series and The Last Sin-Eater are two others I'd recommend!)


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Oh, Miss Jane. How I love my Jane Austen books! Hubby makes fun of me for reading them over and over. And watching the movies. Over and over. I can't help it! I cycle through all her books regularly but Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites.


The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis: Although technically "children's books", these classics from C. S. Lewis are brimming with spiritual allegory and deep truths. Another set I cycle through regularly.


Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel: I first read this book in college for an English class and immediately fell in love. It could have something to do with "chocolate" being in the title . . .


Nobody Don't Love Nobody by Stacey Bess: Another one I was introduced to in college, this time in an early childhood course. This is a memoir of a young teacher who ended up (not by her own choice) teaching in a homeless shelter. It induced many tears, chuckles and gasps at reading what she endured. Extremely touching and will make you see deeper into the homeless population and your reaction to them. Although I read it (mumble, mumble) years ago in college days, the story has stayed with me ever since.

As you can see by most of my choices here, I love a really good story. A great narrative whose characters grab hold of you and while you can't wait to get to the end, you still savor every sentence as you read.

As you can also see by the fact I read the same books over and over, I need some new books to read! Any suggestions???

3 comments:

  1. I am loving all your favorites, seeing how I think you and I are more alike than me and Oprah, I think your favorite list will be better for me. I know I am going to check a couple of these books out for sure. I also enjoy reading, I don't know if I would say LOVE, LOVE it, but I do enjoy reading when I have the time. I also enjoy reading while on vacation and we are headed to the beach next month,Yea. I will have to pick up a couple of these just for that trip. I read a book last weekend while on a Memorial day trip, I would highly recommmend it...the title is Same Kind of Different... I don't know the author, but I am sure it is at a Christian book store. It is one of those that I could not put down and it had me laughing and crying like a baby. I think you will enjoy it. I also just read the book Prisoners of Hope, it is about the missonarys you where held captive in Afghanistan around 9/11. I am sure you are familiar with their story since they where from TX(Baylor). It was a wonderful book too. It took me a little longer to read it just because it was emotionally exhausting at times, just reading it I cannot imagine living it. Okay, so I have written you a book sorry.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. C - I'd heard of "Same Kind of Different" . . .sounds like I need to check it out. I actually had not heard about the other book or their story - good suggestions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutly love love love to read too! my family def. thinks i'm a "nerd" and a "geek"! i totally agree, but i just can't help myself! the cruise was awesome b/c i had so much time to read! i read two books in those 5 days! my hubby makes fun of me for always having my nose stuck in a book in my spare time (good naturedly of course). :)

    ReplyDelete