Sunday, May 3, 2009

37: It Is Well

I love to sing to our 3 month old especially while she eats. It's so peaceful for both of us (and this is that relatively small window of time that I can sing to my girls before they start holding their ears or rolling their eyes). More often than not one of the traditional hymns I grew up hearing in church comes to mind. As much as I love contemporary worship music, these hymns are comfort food to my soul.

The other day It Is Well With My Soul came to mind:

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot
Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, It is well with my soul


Horatio G. Spafford was a well-known Chicago lawyer in the 1860s. But It Is Well With My Soul was not a product of an affluent businessman. It was that of a heartbroken, but faithful, husband and father.

After scarlet fever claimed their 4 year old and the great Chicago fire wiped out all his real estate holdings in the area, Mr. Spafford decided to take holiday with wife and remaining four children, all girls, to England. When business threatened to delay the trip, Mr. Spafford decided to send his wife and daughters on ahead and he would follow on the next steamer out.

He never saw his daughters again.

The vessel Spafford's family had boarded collided with another ship en route and sank in only 12 minutes. His wife clung to their children only to have them ripped away by the chaotic waters. She herself only survived when a plank came under her and kept her unconscious body above the water. Miraculous.

Spafford immediately boarded the next available ship to join his bereaved wife in England. When the captain informed him they were passing over the site of the sunken vessel, where his four daughters perished, the grieving father went to his room and wrote the now beloved hymn.

When sorrows like sea billows roll.

It is well.

Only a heart truly captured by the Lord's mercy and love could write such peaceful lyrics in the midst of such grief.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

(history of hymn gathered from http://biblestudycharts.com)

2 comments:

  1. You should have given a mascara alert for that one, I am crying like a baby. I cannot imagine the pain and grief he must have felt, but what wonderful amazing Faith. I pray I never have to endure such a loss, and if I ever do that my Faith will stand just as firm!!!

    ReplyDelete