Monday, May 4, 2009

38: Second Verse

While I was researching the history behind It Is Well With My Soul (see previous post), I stumbled upon the second verse which, for whatever reason, I had never heard before although we always sang all the other verses growing up in church.

It never ceases to amaze me how God chooses to work. How a song inspired by Him, written over 135 years ago would speak so strongly to my own heart today.

The second verse:
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


Blest assurance.

No matter what scheme Satan tries to pull, no matter what trials enter my life, Christ is no stranger to my situation. To my "helpless estate". And not only is he no stranger to my circumstance, He died - died and rose again! - for my very soul.

And that "blest assurance" is what should always be in control.

"Praise the Lord, O, my soul!" Psalm 146:1

2 comments:

  1. I love that song! It always makes me emotional. I am amazed at the history behind it.

    ReplyDelete