Thursday, May 14, 2009

48: Vacation Fun

It's a beautiful sunny day outside (finally) and it's got me in vacation mode.

BUT since I'm not headed to white sand and turquoise waves anytime soon I figure we can relive some awesome vacation memories today.

So hard to choose . . . however I think one of my personal favorite memories is when Hubby and I went snorkeling for the first time on our honeymoon in Jamaica. Um, have I mentioned my deep fear of all things ocean?

Well, I didn't want to be Debbie Downer and miss out. Okay - maybe I could have missed out but I didn't want Hubby to miss out. He is Mr. Adventure. We are the very picture of opposites attracting in the risk-taking department!

So I decided to take the plunge - literally - and give snorkeling a try. What about putting myself in the middle of the ocean (the home of Jaws as far as I'm concerned) with ridiculous fins on my feet and a tube shoved in my mouth made me think I would like the experience, I don't know. Blame it on the honeymoon I suppose. Clearly I was not thinking straight!

As we jumped in, Hubby was off like a shot diving down to explore probably assuming I was right behind him. (Blame that one on being newlyweds. After 8 years of marriage he would not make this mistake now. He wouldn't even ask me to get on the boat . . .)

Well, I wasn't right behind him.

I was frantically paddling water having a full-fledged anxiety attack.

Feeling like you can't breathe in the middle of the ocean is probably not a good thing. Thankfully, the guide on the boat noticed and swam to me. Being Jamaican and around water all the time I'm sure he thought I was ridiculous but he kindly stayed with me and then helped me back to the boat. His name?

Wait for it . . .

Mel Gibson.

Not the Aussie movie star. But really, truly that was our guide's name. Gotta love that.

So from then on I was able to tell people that Mel Gibson rescued me in Jamaica. :-)

Anyone else got a favorite vacation memory to share???

6 comments:

  1. Way to cute. I love that you were rescued by nun other than MEL GIBSON!!! I will have to think about my favorite vacation story, I have been on so many and usually have such a great time I don't know which would be my favorite at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mel gibson! that is so funny.

    on our honeymoon in mexico we got on a bus to go somewhere and we were trying to ask them bus driver (in our VERY limited spanish) which stop we needed to get off on to get to the mall. he then proceeded to make us get off the bus (i have no idea why?) and we were no where near the mall!! we were so confused! he then came back down the strip while we were trying to decide what to do and he tried to pick us up again! we were like "NO THANKS!" lol... i wouldn' tsay that's a fun memory, but we alway slaugh about how we got kicked off the bus in mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal - I'm pretty sure yours will have something to do with Disney . . .just a guess! :-)

    Chelsa - lol!!! I wonder what in the world did y'all SAY to that bus driver that made him kick you off??? I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that bus. A bilingual fly anyway . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also have to say our honeymoon was my fav vacation! We really haven't gone on many official vacations since. We went to Hawaii and snorkeled. When Blaine earned an incentive trip to go back to Hawaii for free minus kids, we actually took surfing lessons. We had fun getting banged up on the rocks trying to stand on the surf board. I actually stood up several times but I fell so quickly Blaine never could catch a pic of me catching a wave! We were also offered some Maui Wowi (weed) by a guy in a very 60's van. First time I was ever offered drugs! No joke! BTW we turned him down. We didn't have that kind of un. but snickered about it the rest of the time there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey - too funny! I actually laughed out loud that you clarified you didn't take the "Maui Wowi"! ha ha ha I would have wondered otherwise . . .lol! Too bad there's no pic of you surfing - would have LOVED to see that! You're very adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete