Sunday, April 26, 2009

30: Unquenchable

Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
Song of Solomon 8:7a


I've long adored the above verse. In the midst of the romantic dialogue between Solomon and his bride this verse stands out to me as an ideal picture of love. Unquenchable. Unmoveable. Standing strong against whatever forces try to sweep it away.

A beautiful example of godly love between husband and wife.

But today I heard this verse as part of a praise song in church and it made me think of it on a different level.

I know God's love for us is big, but I forget how much God really loves us, pursues us, desires us.

Unquenchable love.

Unmoveable love.

No matter what forces try to sweep it away . . .

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
Isaiah 43:2a


The tumultuous waters of this life are never enough to quench the love, the passion God has for each one of us. The rivers of emotion, of circumstance, that continually rise and threaten to knock us off our feet will never sweep over our head so that God's love cannot reach us.

That is breathtaking.

Read it again now:
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.


The unquenchable, unmoveable love of God.

Beautiful.


**Updated to add this video of the praise song I mentioned above that got me thinking on all of this . . . Although you could find a better video of the actual artist (Misty Edwards) doing this live and/or extended I liked being able to see and share the lyrics . . .an amazing song***

No comments:

Post a Comment