Wednesday, April 8, 2009

12: One Day

I saw her as I rounded the corner of the frozen section in Target and instinctively sucked in my breath.

The same oversized sunglasses.

The same stylish silver hair done perfectly.

It looked just like her.

But it wasn't her. It wasn't my Aunt Sis.

And even though I know Aunt Sis is leaping down the streets of gold, and has been for several years, I had to will my feet to keep walking that linoleum lined grocery aisle rather than envelop this uncanny look-alike in a warm embrace.

With every conflicted step I took in the opposite direction, and with a lump forming in my throat, I became increasingly grateful.

So grateful that one day I will round a corner. And it will be her. And I won't have to walk the other way.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
2Peter 3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment