Monday, June 22, 2009

87: Soundness of Mind

So I have a vague idea about how Bible translations work - some translate word for word from the original language and (I would imagine most) translate the idea presented into understandable language for the modern audience. (Again, I'm vague on this so corrections or more info always welcome!!)

I recently heard a very familiar verse, 2 Timothy 1:7, read from a different translation than I normally use and literally almost fell out of my seat. In fact, although I very much trust the source from which I heard it I still ran to the computer to double-check my hearing (I love biblegateway.com for many reasons, one being that you can read the same verse in a gazillion different languages and translations.).

Here's how that verse from the New International Version (NIV) that I normally read:

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.


I'm well-acquainted with the beginning of this verse because I struggle so much with fear and anxiety. I have to remind myself over and over that my timidity, fear and anxiousness need to give way to the power available through the Spirit that lives in me!

Timidity/fear traded in for the Spirit's power. Check. Got it. I usually leave the verse there and kind of forget about the "of love and of self-discipline" part.

Until I heard the same verse read from the King James Version (KJV). The translators for the KJV took the idea presented in the original language and came up with a different way to say it:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.


Sound mind.

Those two words spoke such peace and hope into my restless little soul I could hardly stand it. How I long for a sound mind - a mind not drowning in my own thoughts, fears and worries. And to see that God longs that for me as well - so much so that it's part of the Spirit He's given me - well, that just blows my mind.

I figure I just might not be the only one needing a "sound mind" these days, so I hope this is an encouragement to someone else! (And by the way, Beth Moore is the one I heard teach on this particular translation. I don't want to ever follow just one teacher but that lady has a gift to deliver the Word . . .if you've heard her then you know that's a major understatement!!)

1 comment:

  1. so although you already gave me this verse yesterday in an email reading it again today (when i still really need it) and hearing you talk about just broke me out in tears! i know God wants these thigns for me as well. i need to keep reminding myself of that. :)

    ReplyDelete