Sunday, June 14, 2009

79: Yet I Will Rejoice . . .

17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Habukkuk 3:17-18


I love these verses in Habukkuk.

How many of us have experienced the circumstances of verse 17? (Well, the general idea anyway . . . I can't say I have much experience with sheep pens or tending the fields. And thank goodness - I've always thought I would make a horrible farm girl!) But I'm pretty sure most of us have experienced the disappointment of unfruitful expectations or seemingly hopeless situations. Verse 17 living is a certain condition of existing in a fallen world.

But as common as verse 17 living is, how often do we have a verse 18 response: "yet I will rejoice in the LORD."? And I'm speaking to myself as the most needy hearer of this message tonight. Try putting your own "verse 17" circumstances into the phrasing . . .

Though the job search is unpromising . . .
Though the loved one is no longer on this earth . . .
Though this day seems unending and overwhelming. . .
Though the doctor report is grim . . .
Though the waiting seems unbearable . . .
Though [whatever life is throwing at you] . . .

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD.
I will be joyful in God my Savior.


Verse 18 overflows with hope in the face of less than hopeful circumstances. It reminds us that our joy should be welling up not from the circumstances but from Who is sovereign over those circumstances.

I'm not trying to be trite here. I know there's a lot of pain out there. Life is not easy - that's for sure. But it will swallow us alive if we allow circumstances to dictate our responses. (Again, I can only say that because I've experienced both the disappointment of the things of life but also the deep joy tied to the things of God. The latter is much better - hands down.)

So my prayer for all of us tonight is that regardless of what "your" verse 17 looks like right now, that you will be able to experience a verse 18 response . . .

"Yet I will rejoice in the LORD"

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a verse that I need to write down and hang up somewhere so that I can see it often. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! i was just thinking tonight how the past few days have been REALLY good for me. i've actually been REALLy happy. i'm not sure if that's possible? it doesn't seem like it should be possible, maybe it kind of makes me even feel a little guilty.

    but this verse tells me otherwise... that's what God wants, for me to Rejoice!

    ReplyDelete