Wednesday, June 3, 2009

68: Waiting. And Waiting . . .

I learned an astounding fact the other night at my Bible study group.

(By the way - YAY for ladies' Bible studies! If you ever have the chance to be a part of one, do it if you can. You will not regret the fellowship and sweet teachings as you press in together to learn more about the Lord! Okay . . .that sound is me stepping off my soapbox now. Anyone ever wonder where that saying comes from? Do people ever really stand on soapboxes to preach??? Sorry, even my digression is digressing now . . .)

Okay - back to that astounding fact I mentioned way up there :-)

Did you realize that David was anointed king of Israel when he was 15 years old?

Now, any guesses on how old he was when he actually took the reins of kingship over all of Israel?

37.

37!!!!

That is twenty-two stinkin' years that the "man after God's own heart" had to wait for a promise from the Lord to come to fruition. How exactly does one receive a promise of royalty one day and go back to tending sheep the next is beyond me!! And I thought MY waits lately had been long.

The Word tells us that:
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9


The Lord is unfailing. He is not slow or forgetful. That means if I'm in a season of waiting it is by His divine purpose (whether I see or understand that purpose is not imperative to the plan I'm coming to find out). Not that it makes waiting easy. Waiting is so hard. I catch myself (often) thinking that if I just knew the outcome then I could withstand the waiting. And then I'm pretty sure I hear the sound of God rolling His eyes at me. Lovingly, of course. But eye rolling for sure. That's kind of the point of faith I suppose.

I just (selfishly) hope my current season of waiting doesn't last 22 years . . . :-)

1 comment:

  1. i'm being selfish and hoping mine doesn't take 22 years either lol... i don't think i could handle having a baby and a 26 year old ;)

    ReplyDelete