Wednesday, June 17, 2009

82:Whatcha Reading?

I'm t-i-r-e-d tonight. I'm sure most of you are, too. So here we go, short and sweet:

Whatcha reading these days?

I just started a new book, Riven by Jerry Jenkins. Not sure what I think about it yet. The storyline already has me hooked but it's a bit dialogue heavy. As we used to drill into our students back in my teaching days - "show, don't tell". As in, allude to the facts, describe the environment, use the reader's imagination to draw them into the story. It's much more fun than just outright telling them every detail I think. But, as I said, the storyline's already got me and I'm reading every spare moment I get to find out what happens!

Curious to hear what books y'all's noses are in currently . . .

7 comments:

  1. Currently reading:
    The Last Week by Marcus Borg and J. Dominic Crossan
    The Origin of Species by Darwin
    Religionless Christianity: Deitrich Bonhoeffer in troubles times by Jeffrey Pugh
    The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was from Brian (as I'm sure is obvious to you)...Kristine has a little different reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love book suggestions!! I am reading The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns which is a must read. And I'm about to start Scared: A novel on the edge of the world by Tom Davis!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm looking for something to read right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B- thanks for clarifying! ha! I was thinking that married people sure do become similar as time goes on . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash - ooooo, that last one sounds interesting. Let me know how you like it. I'm halfway through Riven now and it's gotten much better. Can't wait to find out what the first page meant . . . very mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well girl as you know I brought the Redreeming love book. I am only gotten to read one sentence! Oh me motherhood.

    ReplyDelete