Friday, July 31, 2009

A Shade From the Heat

"You have been a refuge for the poor,
a refuge for the needy in his distress,
a shelter from the storm
and a shade from the heat. . ."
Isaiah 25:4 [emphasis mine]

I am such a wuss about heat in the summertime.

Really, I am. I usually just avoid the outdoors as much as possible if the mercury climbs much above, say, 85. If I have to go outside for more than a few minutes in the heat then I'm goin' prepared: water bottles (yes, plural), baby powdered (reduces sweating - TMI I know), and sunscreen slathered on my pitifully pale skin.

And even with all of that what's the first thing I do? Run for the shade.

Summer heat + me = sunburned, sweaty, tired and grumpy.

Isaiah 25:4 conjures up a powerful image then for me when it says that the Lord is a shade from the heat. Just as the summer season comes bringing its powerful heat, so too does the enemy come and turns up the spiritual heat for a season.

Whatever makes you sweat, whatever makes you uncomfortable. Sapping energy and leaving serious burns. Oh, the enemy knows how to bring the heat.

In those seasons this verse from Isaiah is a reminder to step into the spiritual shade of our Father. Let His presence provide relief from the heat, a place to renew energy and to escape the burns.

That's not to say the heat will disappear. After all, sitting under a tree in August doesn't exactly mean you can build a snowman. But there is a noticeable difference, yes? Shade makes the heat bearable.

And keep in mind, too, that just as the scorching summer gives way to the cool breeze of autumn a season of spiritual heat will eventually pass.

But it's okay to stay put in that cool spot. Your shade's not going anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. okay so it was a great post! and seriously, i laughed out loud at the "sitting under a tree in august doesn't mean you can build a snowman" comment :) you crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I needed this today...no really! The enemy sure does know my buttons to push...whew he's been pushing them all day. thanks for such great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete