Monday, July 13, 2009

Name Calling

"Daddy . . . Daddy?"

The little searching voice belonged to a small boy down the aisle from us. Immediately recognizing the little one was lost my girls and I made a beeline his way. Too many things can happen too quickly in a big store. As a former teacher and now as a mother I tend to feel fiercely protective of any child in need. (I know most caring adults feel the same way.)

As I approached, his 5-year-old lip was quivering in an attempt not to give way to panic.

"Are you lost?"

The floodgate opened and a sobbing "Uh-huh" escaped from his mouth. I wanted to hug him, but I also realized I was a stranger to him.

All I could say was, "Oh, sweetpea! It's okay, let's go find . . ." and before I could suggest finding a salesperson to help us we heard, "Ethan?"

Those sweet little eyes lit up and he was off like a shot toward his no-longer-lost father.

How good it is, what relief, when someone who loves us calls our name . . .

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel,
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
Isaiah 43:1

1 comment:

  1. my heart was pounding! poor little guy! i still panic if i can't find ryan or my mom or whoever i'm with at a store. ridiculous i know! i have accused my mom of leaving me somewhere when i was little b/c i have such a problem with this still! even though i know it is irrational my heart starts to pound and i get flustered if i can't find the person i'm with. i remember my mom thinking i was nuts when i was in h.s. and would barely leave her side at walmart to run to another aisle to get something b/c i was terrified she would leave me (although i KNEW she wouldn't really). i to this day if we part ways in the store say "don't leave me!" it is kind of a joke now, b ut still!!! :)

    okay, now you probably think i'm a total freak lol

    ReplyDelete