Thursday, March 12, 2009

Better Than Yo-Yo

Tonight I'm camped out on the couch watching some musical production on PBS. Not my usual thing but I just can't stop watching this program because the music is indescribably beautiful.

By far my favorite piece involved the featured trumpet player, an acoustic guitar, a piano and the amazingly talented cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

I LOVE the cello. (I've always wanted to learn to play - we'll see if that happens) The music that instrument produces at the hands of a gifted player such as Yo-Yo Ma makes my heart leap.

However, it boggles my mind to consider that if the best things in this life are a shadow of the perfection that is coming (1 Corinthians 13:12) then even the most amazing earthly songs are imperfect reflections of what we'll hear in Heaven.

Zephaniah 3:17 says:
The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."


What must God's song sound like? I cannot even fathom that thought. I long to hear it but have a feeling that my human ears wouldn't be able to comprehend or stand the beauty.

One more thing to look forward to in Heaven . . . being in the presence of our Father and the ability to hear His voice singing over us. Can't wait for that :-)

3 comments:

  1. ohhh me either. i long to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know. I actually think God's music will sound a LOT like ours. Especially when I learn about the angels who sing & stuff.
    & that the men who wrote about the angels singing actually recognized their action as singing.
    So it must sound like music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M - I never thought about it like that - good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete