Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lessons on Grace

Funny how God chooses the most interesting ways to teach us lessons.

Last Friday was a, for lack of a better word, BAD day in our household. I rarely use that word as there is always some good in everything. But really. It was B-A-D.

It involved a very, very fussy baby, a very, very whiny child, and a very, very emotional mommy.

Not a great combination.

Oh. And blue stamp ink. On the carpet. On the table. On my child's arms and hands. On our comforter.

(Note: Even washable ink does not come off skin in the first washing. Or second. Or third . . .)

Everything came to a head and I was not in fine mommy form that day. I was ashamed at how I treated and spoke to my child that day - out of much frustration and tiredness to be sure but still without excuse.

I am not beyond apologies and as I knelt (after much praying and deep breathing) and apologized to my 2-almost-3-year-old for the way I spoke to her I was immediately forgiven.

And then it was over. No grudges. No cold shoulder. No nursing wounds. Just right back to playing Cinderella like nothing happened.

The perfect picture of grace and mercy.

There was no mistake in Jesus telling us to become more like these little ones.

2 comments:

  1. It is so true, we do need to be more like the little ones. I was reminded of this just last week as my 6 almost 7 year old shared her version of the plan of Salvation and God's amazing Redemming Grace. I don't think I have ever heard a better explanation, so simple and so correct. As I sat in amazement at her sharing the gospel with her 3 year old brother all I could do was think...Why is this so hard for me to do?? Later that day she was searching her Bible for scripture to read to CJ to help him come to Christ. Wow, if only all of us older in age and spiritual walk had such earnestness to win everyone in our path over to Christ. All I can say is thank you Lord for reminding me of who you are through my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am amazed daily by what Brycen teaches me about faith.

    ReplyDelete