Monday, March 30, 2009

3: Mighty to Save

You may have heard the song "Mighty to Save" recently on the radio or in church. I first heard it in preparation to attend a women's praise night about a year ago and it immediately spoke to my heart for many reasons.

One of those reasons is there is a loved one in my life whom I have been pleading with the Father for over the last couple of years. I beg Him to speak to her heart, to open her eyes, to allow her to fully feel His love.

In short - to save her.

I assume the song was inspired, in part at least, by Zephaniah 3:17:
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.


I get the "save" part . . .I think I forget about the "mighty" part.

There is nothing too hard for the Lord. He is mighty beyond compare. Just the other day I ran across these verses that speak on the Lord's mightiness:

Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea -
the LORD on high is mighty.
Psalm 93:4


Now, the only beach I've spent much time on is the coast of Texas and I don't think that much counts. I've seen the Pacific from the beauty of Long Beach and soaked my toes in the Atlantic off Cocoa Beach. But I don't think the gentle, rolling surf is the "great waters" the Psalmist speaks of.

Remember the tragic tsunami several years ago that devastated lives and property?

Now THAT is an image of "great waters" and "breakers of the sea".

And, although the tsunami obviously brought tragic circumstances, think about the sheer power behind such a thing.

That is the power of the Lord's mightiness.

And that is the power He has to save.

Mighty to save, indeed.


(And if you've never heard the song, or want to hear it now, here it is:)

3 comments:

  1. i need this reminder that God is MIGHTY. nothing is impossible with him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I love this song. Thanks for posting this and letting us sing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S - Isn't it fun to sing these kinds of songs with our little ones? It always makes my heart swell!!

    ReplyDelete