Sunday, March 29, 2009

2: Offensive

(If you missed my previous post I'm trying to do 100 posts in 100 days . . .This is big #2. So far so good - ha!)

This morning in church I heard a new thought on how God regards my sin:

Offensive.

Ouch.

I hate offending people. I will bend over backward to make sure I have not hurt feelings and am quick to apologize once I realize my mistake. My soul remains unsettled until any little ripple in my pond of relationships is smoothed back to still waters.

I know God hates sin. I also know He lovingly extends grace, mercy, and forgiveness at the asking. But I never thought about my sin offending God.

That seems to make it much more personal. Deserving of much more than a half-hearted "I'm sorry, please forgive me". The thought of offending my Lord, who has done so much for me, breaks my heart.

It also makes me love Him even more for never harboring my sin - my offensive sin - against me.

"Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit." Psalm 32:2

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hear you. I am the same way. Great post. I never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch! it does hurt to think of it that way. but also means we're that much more blessed that he still loves us.

    i too hate disharmoney in any relationship and my heart is unsettled until it's right... i'm actually dealing with that today. i need to pick up the phone and make a phone call now :(

    thanks :)

    ReplyDelete