Tuesday, March 31, 2009

4: Fleeing the Tation

I know that title doesn't make any sense . . . let me explain:

My 3-year-old is oh so great at unintentionally teaching me lessons.

In an attempt to curb her fondness for shaking salt and pepper into my dining room candles, I told her that the Bible says to "Flee from temptation!" (My translation of 2 Timothy 2:22)I told her that means if she knows she's not supposed to be doing something then to run far, far away from it!

A few days later we were in the kitchen. She started to pick up an open container of water that I had told her numerous times to leave alone. I cast a glance at her, she put it down and immediately ran across the kitchen until she was practically standing on my feet. When I asked her what she was doing she said,

"I'm fleeing the tation!"

What a GREAT visual! As children of our Heavenly Father how often He must wish we would just "flee the tation" and run straight to Him. (And, like my daughter did to me, it wouldn't hurt to get so close we're practically standing on His feet as well!)

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I'll have to pass this one along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute! might have to use this illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a wonderful mommy to teach her that. You always remember to include God in your corrections. I pray that I can begin to do that as well! Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that!!! I will think of E fleeing the tation next time I need to run like crazy to my Heavenly Father. I so enjoy my childrens understanding of the Word and their applications, they are always teaching me or God is using them to teach me soooo much. I think I have learned so much from them and of course the grumbling Israelits. I have so much in comman with both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G - after talking to you yesterday I feel like I should add a disclaimer here! hee hee! This is NOT everyday life in our household! Oh, how I wish I could say that I go around spouting Bible verses all day long! This just happened to be an instance it actually worked. Now, if I had a dollar for every time I say things like, "Because I said so!" or "Do you need a spanking to remind you how to obey mommy???" then I would be rich! :-)

    ReplyDelete