Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Log in My Eye

As of late, we've been having many "discussions" (i.e. discipline) with our toddler daughter about obedience. She seems to think it's the greatest game in the world to run the opposite direction whenever mommy or daddy is calling her name. Part of what we are striving for her to understand is that even if she doesn't understand or agree with what we're asking her to do she needs to do it anyway for the sole reason of because mommy and daddy asked her to.

Well, we don't use those words so much. She is only 2 after all.

We've really been working hard on obedience this week and I'm so proud of the good choices she's beginning to make.

Wish I could say the same for myself.

I realized today that I had been dragging my feet on something the Lord was calling me to do. This had actually been going on for a month or so. When I had this realization, I took care of the matter and then prayed for forgiveness over my lack of obedience.

Obedience.

As in the same thing I've been trying to foster in my daughter - let's call her the "speck" - without a second thought to my own situation. You can call me the "log" now.

"And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?" Matthew 7:3 NLT


Sigh . . .God is so stinkin' ironic sometimes it gives me fits.

1 comment:

  1. Leilanni,
    I think being a parent has changed my relationship with God greatly. I understand His unconditional love so much better, and His methods of discipline. You know the soft whisper of what I should do and then the very strong hold on girl you know better. He can really use my two angels to bring me to my knees begging for forgiveness and reminds me it takes me many attempts to get it somewhat right, as it does my kiddos. Boy does he have the Patience and Grace that I so need and desire.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete