Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Want to Grow Up to Be Like My Daughter

Today I saw true Grace played out before my very eyes.

Our dog, G, is quite the chewer and, unfortunately, our daughter's toys and books are most often her favorite target. Whenever our daughter, E, discovers the tell-tale signs on one of her possessions she usually says, "G chew it," and then will go on and forget about it or go tell the dog "No! That's E's!"

Last night after E went to bed my husband and I noticed her favorite Mickey Mouse stuffed animal had undergone an Ear-ectomy thanks to the dog. Mickey just isn't the same without his ears! Hubby had brought Mickey home to E after a business trip and she has loved that Mouse ever since. I was dreading E's discovery of her earless friend.

This morning E picked Mickey up off the couch, stared at him quietly for a moment and then said, "G chew it. Fix it." I assured her that we would find a way to fix Mickey's ears. Hmmm. No tears. She then sauntered off towards the dog and I braced to hear a toddler's lecture to her dog consisting of a lot of "No!" Instead what I heard was, "Hug!" and then E ran off to her room.

Is there a clearer picture of Grace - unmerited favor - than giving a hug rather than a deserved lecture over a personal slight?

Oh . . .the things the Lord is teaching me through this little one!!

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 18:3

1 comment:

  1. The sermon at church this morning was about how God uses ALL generations to teach and spread his word....including little children. What an awesome thing-to be able to learn more about God through our kids!

    ReplyDelete