Monday, March 10, 2008

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

So I'm going to confess my inner nerd here (although some of you are already aware of the coming confession) and divulge that . . .I love Discovery Channel! We watch it quite a bit around here - yes, on purpose.

Not that long ago they produced and aired the most amazing series, Planet Earth. If you've never seen it, the footage is truly breathtaking and will make you fall on your knees in worship and praise to God for his creativity and vastness.

Well, they're at it again.

Anyone see the new Human Body series? I think it's airing mostly on Sunday evenings although I've seen reruns during the week. Each episode focuses on something specifically amazing about our bodies - Strength, Sight, Brain Power, etc. The show highlights real-life occurances (such as a policeman outrunning an explosion faster than thought humanly possible as a response to the danger) and then uses amazing computer imagery to show you exactly what's going on in our bodies while that's happening.

This stuff is fascinating to me. I am completely in awe of the intricacies and complexity of our bodies, yet God spoke them into existence seemingly without effort, though not without thought. What power, what intelligence, what artistry was put into every little detail. Things we are still trying to understand and probably never will. Truly "fearfully and wonderfully made".

But you know what really gets to me?? When the voiceover says things such as, "This response is due to our ancestors billions of years ago . . ." or "Evolution is responsible for . . ."

Who do they think wired our brains with the capability to know how to repair our bodies while we sleep? Who do they think designed us with a ready emergency energy supply that kicks into gear in life-or-death situations? Are they trying to tell us such complexities really are the result of millions of years of germs getting smarter and evolving?

I just don't buy it.

We live in the age of no absolute truth. Everyone's truth is "true" as long as it works for them. I'm okay, you're okay.

But there is a problem with that. There is truth. An absolute truth. Whether we choose to believe it or not does not change its truthfulness. I can tell you all day long that the sky is green with purple polka dots but that doesn't change the truth that it's really blue. Likewise is the truth of God.

It's not popular or even politcially correct to say but the truth is that God is God, that He made the Earth, and the He created us. Period.

However, that doesn't give us right or reason to hammer people over the head or be ugly about it. Remember the fruit of the Spirit? Love, joy, peace, gentleness . . .

But I digress.

Watch the series and be in awe of what God has done. And remember Psalm 139:13-16


13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new blog. I love your thoughts and I love that you are always yearning to discover God in all new ways! These posts are very encouraging. Oh-and we love the discovery channel too-totally NOT a nerd thing or maybe we are just nerds too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey has setup the DVR to record this series. It is so fascinating! I love your blog and reading all the things that are swimming around in your head. Amazingly, some of the same things have been swimming around in my head lately. God is good! Thank you for your faithfulness and sharing with WWW. Love, Ang

    ReplyDelete