Friday, March 21, 2008

The True Light Source

When I started this new blog it really wasn't my intention to write every post about darkness/night vs. light/morning. But I continue to "stumble" upon verse after verse and I just can't help myself!

It's approaching Spring and in Texas that means Texas-size thunderstorms. The electricity gets knocked out every now and then and, when that happens, inevitably what's the very first thing I do when I walk into a room? That's right - flip the light switch. Even though I know there is no power it's just ingrained in us to seek light wherever we're walking.

I think the same applies when we're walking in the midst of "night" in our lives. We look for light - something to remove the darkness that's surrounding us. But many of the things we seek are much like the light switch above. If there's no power behind it, well, it just isn't good for much besides a cool clicky noise.

Examples?

-Maybe reading the latest self-help book will work . . .click
-Once (fill in the blank) happens, everything will be okay . . .click
-If I just ignore it, maybe it will go away . . .click
-If my friends, spouse, family, etc. would just do (blank) it would be better . . .click

I can only write the above examples because I've done every stinkin' last one of them and then some. And none of them are the solution! They can help, God can use them as a tool, but even with the best resources and best family and friends they are still human and will eventually tire, let you down, or just not quite totally meet our need. Not because they're not trying their darndest but because we weren't made to completely and perfectly fulfill each other's needs. We try our best but when it all comes down, there's only one perfect never-failing source of light and comfort.

Psalm 18:28 says:
You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning;
my God turns my darkness into light.


The Lord is the only light source that truly works in the dark times of our lives. He's not a lightswitch that just makes a cool clicky sound for a while. He's the power source. The generator. Unfailing and never tiring (Isaiah 40:28-31).

That's not to say that having the light means our problems are suddenly gone. It just means we're no longer groping in the dark. Understanding that difference is a difficult and ongoing lesson. During my own difficult season it's had to be a choice every day (sometimes every hour) to allow the Lord to be light to me instead of being swallowed in the darkness. And even then it's not because I'm strong enough to allow that but because He's gracious enough to keep reminding me.

Sometimes at night
I am afraid
I cover my eyes,
Cover my shame
So here in the dark
Broken apart
Come with your light
And fill up my heart

Oh great light of the world
Fill up my soul
I'm half a man here
So come make me whole
Oh great light of the world
Come to impart
The light of your grace
To fill up my heart

"Oh, Great Light of the World" by Bebo Norman

1 comment: