Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Christmas Challenge (Yes - in October)!

So here I am musing about how I don't feel inspired to write much anymore on this blog when, lo and behold (what does that mean anyway??) something struck me today.

Randomly poking around the Internet I landed on this little snippet of a story (it's off of the Life Outreach International website . . .they're the ones that produce Life Today with James and Betty Robison if any of you watch that).

The gist of the article is a pastor's challenge to his congregation at Christmastime last year:

Spend half of what you did last year on gifts for friends and family.

With the other "unspent" half: Save 25%. Give the other 25% away.

This is not a huge sacrifice. This is doable. Um, haven't talked to hubby about it yet but it sounds like a great idea to me.

Anyone else onboard?

4 comments:

  1. wow, i consider myself a pretty thrifty person when it comes to gifts, but i agree this is a great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did something like this last Christmas with Brian's family. We got everyone something pretty small and then donated money on their behalf to Christian Children's Fund. What's neat is that you can choose what specific things you want the donation to go towards. With the money we donated, we bought a family in Africa two goats, a handful of orchard trees, gardening tools, and sponsored a couple kids at a learning program. It was definitely a more meaningful Christmas doing something like that instead of splurging on things people don't even need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C: I know - I think we're pretty frugal too. We already mostly only buy for kiddos in the family instead of adults. I think if we do this it will come out of our gifts toward each other and our daughter . . .every year so far on Christmas I always feel like we've bought her way too much! We always have to beg her to open more presents!

    K: Awesome idea! I like the idea of having something "tangible" (goats, trees, etc.) that you know someone else received as a result of cutting back on other gifts. I'm going to look into that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this idea! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete