Saturday, October 11, 2008

Persecution

So, if I ever write again about not having anything to write about just ignore me :-) Ever since that post I have continually run across various stories that have pricked my heart and moved me to share with somebody.

Lately my heart has been so burdened for our brothers and sisters around the world. I'm getting the feeling that I don't have half a clue what most of them endure daily just for the name of Christ.

It seems incomprehensible that persecution of Christians goes on in this present age. Here are some snippets I've found lately . . .take the time to read and ask how the Lord wants you to respond. I've been asking and I don't have an answer yet (well, besides this little bloggy post) but I know we need to be in prayer for our fellow Christians. The enemy is still prowling like a roaring lion. . .

Read here about Christians being threatened, killed and forced out of a region of Iraq (in the Ninevah province - sound familiar to anyone? We sometimes are silently critical of Jonah for being so afraid to go to Ninevah but who of us wouldn't have a similar response if asked to go there today in these conditions??)

This seems to be a reputable website detailing Christian persecution around the world (although I haven't checked it out thoroughly so let me know if you see something not right on there). Especially of note on this website is to read about the persecution in the Orissa region of India. Unbelievable. This is a quote taken from the news story:
The sustained violence, now running into its seventh week, has killed at least 52 people. Hindu extremists have also burned down 4,500 houses, 100 churches and 20 convents, as well as presbyteries and other Church institutions. About 50,000 people have been rendered homeless.

How have we NOT heard about this? It is so frustrating to me.

I know all this is nothing new but I feel like my eyes are just now being opened to what's really going on in this world. There is definitely a battle going on and our brothers and sisters NEED our intercession. Now that I'm aware - and will continue to seek information - not interceeding doesn't seem like an option.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leilanni! Thanks for your post. It's been good to see additional press coverage of the persecutions, particularly of the situation in Orissa state in India. The coverage, and your post, generates several thoughts: beyond prayer, our tool of first resort, what should this intercession look like? Check out Christian Peacemker Teams (www.cpt.org) for hands-on intercession for or the Christian persection link you have for how to lobby for these causes. The other discussion for the moment is how Christians might be persecuting others...while not primarily violent, there is clearly an anti-Muslim sentiment in the US. Is that how Christ and the early apostles dealt with the Gentiles? It's appalling to hear the recent comments at political rallies where, while he is a professed Christian, an Arab sounding name makes Sen. Obama the object of hate speech and even calls for violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey B! Thanks for commenting - always nice to hear a male voice around here :-)

    Great thoughts and interesting website - thanks for that.

    Your thoughts especially on how we as Christians treat non-Christians really got my mind turning. While it's right for us to be concerned and intercede for our Christian brethren we should be equally, dare I say more, concerned about the persecution the NON Christians are enduring around the world. What would be more Christ-like than to love those that don't know His love? To be Christ's hands and feet here on earth - that maybe they would be overwhelmed and won over by our love rather than beat over the head with our theology?

    Brad and I have already had a great discussion on all of this tonight so thanks for the springboard :-) Tell K hi!

    ReplyDelete