Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vision Check

I have been feeling just beat down lately. Anyone else there?

For about the past two weeks my heart and mind have been occupied:

-Many of my friends are in incredible pain right now for various reasons.

-People I don't know, but whose stories I have followed, are hurting in unimaginable ways.

-The world around us is a literal mess - natural disasters, poverty, persecution, so many that are spiritually lost.

Sometimes the realization of how much pain is in the world causes me vision problems: I get spiritual myopia. The pain feels near and very clear while goodness seems far off and fuzzy.

In the midst of my near-sightedness I noticed the Bible verse for today sitting by my kitchen window:

I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 27:13-14


I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

When I allow God to put His lenses in front of my flawed eyesight the fuzziness comes into focus. I will see His goodness. Not just one day in the future, but right now in the land of the living.

This doesn't take the reality of worldly pain away. But, in my eyes, it offers hope.

And that's something worth looking for.

3 comments: