Tuesday, February 16, 2010

God's Goodness

Several years ago my dearest friend's father was in the midst of a horrific medical crisis. A "routine" procedure had gone very, very wrong and after literally being brought back to life there was much uncertainty about how much damage was done.

God's people responded. One night church members that had come to support the family and pray overflowed out of the hospital waiting area and into hallways. My sweet friend's family was lifted up continuously to our Father.

When it became apparent that little permanent damage had been done - and this defied any medical reasoning - people rightly glorified God. They exclaimed over and over to my friend, "God is so good!"

And then she posed a question to me that I will never forget:

"What if God hadn't healed Dad? Would these people still know that God is good?"

Wow.

That question still gives me goosebumps mostly because the rock-solid faith of my dear friend blew me away.

But she had a point.

I think maybe what we mean to say in those situations, when God says "yes" to a dramatic request, is "That was so good of God!" Because my friend was right. God IS good. All the time. Unfailing. No matter what His answer to our request.

And if He, for whatever reason, had chosen to say "no" to the many pleas over her father's life He still would be just as good.

That's really hard to say. And really hard to swallow sometimes. Because it doesn't feel good when the answer is "no", when the life is not spared, when the job does not come through, when life is just really hard.

But see, my feelings don't dictate God's character. And really, that's a good thing.

Oh, I've been told "no" to an urgent plea. And it hurt. As Beth Moore puts it in a book of hers, it hurt my feelings. I'm not going to pretend that all these years later I get it now, that I understand why He said "no". That I now see the glorious purpose in the pain.

Um, no.

But has my faith been stretched? You betcha. Because at that moment, when the "no" hurt to the very marrow, God gave me a choice: 1)abandon Him, the one who said "no" or 2)cling to Him even though I was hurt. There was no in-between.

So with a deep breath, many tears and hurt feelings I chose to stay. And although there's so much I still don't understand about those circumstances, a peace that passes understanding allowed me to start digesting that God had not failed me.

He was still good.

Life's hard. We live in a fallen world with situations that bring us to our knees, crying for the Lord to come quickly. And it's right for us to pray, to pray for miracles, to pray for compassion, to pray for healing. We are God's dearly loved children and He loves to give good gifts to us.

It's hard to say this without saying cold or trite. Please hear the tenderness in my heart, the heart that's also withstood a devastating "no", when I say to remember that God is still good when bad things happen. He does not want us to fall away on account of circumstances. Instead He wants us to run to Him so He can embrace us and wipe the tears from our face.

And because God is good, remember that this world is not our home. One day there will be no tears, no heartbreak, no enemy.

And that is very, very good.

8 comments:

  1. You have such a great way of writing out God's word as you are understanding it. I always wondered that same question as your friend. What if God had said no to healing our son, getting the job... How would I respond. You are so right, yes or no God is always so good! I look forward to seeing our true home one day. Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and you are so right God's character does not change b/c of our circumstances or the way he choses to answer our prayers sometimes "NO" is what we need even if we don't understand or like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully written leilanni!! i have struggled with being "stretched" - i didn't want to stretch!! but i'm learning he is closer than ever before when i truly ask for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a choice of seeing God as omnipotence & omniscience vs. good? I think so. You?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Brian - you have such a great way of stretching my brain!

    Here's my thought: Does it have to be a choice? Isn't God all three of those things all the time?

    Tag - you're it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leilanni-

    Upon further review, I don't really like how I phrased that question. Anyway, I think you have an interesting discussion topic here.

    Questions of theodicy or chance have led a lot of people from and to faith, and is something I've dwelt on a lot. One of my favorite (and like much of his work) easy to read books on the topic is by Rabbi Harold Kushner, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". It's worth a read - dealing with this topic obviously occupies a lot of our life.

    For me, I really struggle with the thinking that God intends every event, good or bad, to somehow shape us and our relationship to God. I do think that every event does shape us, and certainly shapes our relationship with God and with one another, but do not think that God controls (i.e. has the power to make happen or not make happen) these events. If God acted in that way, it would certainly make God quite unappealing!

    For example, if I think that God said "Yes" to me and tested me but allowed me to survive having cancer last year, what about the thousands and millions of people he said no to? What about the girl (11 years old), diagnosed in the same clinic a few weeks before me that is dying? Is God testing her parents? Trying to stretch their faith? And if so, could we really describe that God as good?

    Or is God there, with them, incarnate, supporting them and loving them as they learn too early what it means to be human? I think God is with their friends as they show love and comfort, God is with the nurses and strangers as they care for this girl, but God is not in control of her outcome. I certainly believe he is good - but believing that he is good makes us give up other beliefs that comfort us from day to day.

    For me, this view of God really helps me to understand incarnation. It's not about a particular teleology (this happened for this reason, he came for this...), but is about presence.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I've really spent some time thinking on this the past day. I'm not sure I've gotten anywhere but here's what's rattling around in my brain.

    I do believe that God can do all things, that His very nature as Lord of the universe means all things and all outcomes are able to be controlled by Him. However, I also believe that He chooses not to control (as in intervene, change the course) all things. In some situations this is because He has given us free will and He allows natural consequences. He will not force anyone to come to Him any more than I would want to force a child of mine to love me. It would not be genuine.

    But I think more to the point of what we're talking about (outcomes of life circumstances - receiving a yes or no) He chooses not to intervene for many reasons. I can only guess at a few of them such as: to eventually bring someone to faith, to bring Himself glory (to make Himself known), discipline, etc. There is no way my finite mind could comprehend the reasoning of an infinite God. I think sometimes we try to make it too simplistic when we may never know the true reason.

    In the book of Job, his diatribe against God receives an answer not addressing the "why"s of his situation but rather a stern reminder of God's character. God asks Job at one point, "Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself?" (Job 40:8) I think in some ways we do the same thing when we accuse God when things don't go the "right" way - we condemn Him to justify our sense of fairness, when we don't understand the outcome.

    So that brings us back to the "why"s of life - why some receive healing and some don't. I just don't know the answer and I don't think I will. My mind can go around and around trying to understand why the godly mother who had thousands praying for her passed away last month while someone who doesn't believe receives healing and never acknowledges God. I guess that's where I have to go back to faith and what I know about God's unchanging character - specifically His goodness.

    Maybe His goodness is not "good" as we would understand it (meaning everything working out like we think it should)? Is it beyond our grasp? Just like "he is not slow as some understand slowness" (2 Peter 3:9)?

    So, I do think there is always a particular teleology (whoa - big word! I always learn new things from you B!) but you hit the nail on the head when you said it's about His presence. I think if we keep our focus there we will be much more at peace than trying to figure out all the "why"s.

    Loving this discussion and hoping some others will chime in!! Anyone? Anyone? :-)

    ReplyDelete