Sunday, November 1, 2009

Perspective

Recently I commented to a friend that the medical trials she and her husband had been through had to have been, among other things, a test of faith.

Her reply was beautiful. She stated she would not call it a test of faith but rather a testimony to the power of God's love as experienced through family and friends.

That powerful perspective inspired me to take the same approach today.

Two years ago today we miscarried our Sweet Baby. It was a devastating loss and although I did not want to dwell on it today it was also impossible not to think about it. I didn't want to mope around today - too many good things going on in the present and besides, what good would it do anyway?- but could not exactly escape the memories either. It seemed right to remember but was not quite sure how to go about that in a spiritually healthy way.

So today I decided to take my friend's approach and chose to focus on and remember how we experienced God's love through such a difficult journey:

The tangible comfort of the Spirit

The leading to literally pages of Scripture that spoke truth and hope into my heart

The kindness of friends and family who let me cry, cried with me and lifted us up in prayer - this was no small thing

The servant heart of the retired neighbor that mowed our lawn with no expectation of credit or thanks

The wisdom of another neighbor that advised me to "grieve well" - I took those words to heart and have since passed them on to others

The ministry of the music sent to me by a dear friend - she knew what I did not at the time, that the need to surround myself with worship music regardless of my desire to worship was crucial. This is something else I have passed on to many.

The friends who left a mysterious care package on my porch - cute pjs, chocolate, lip gloss, and a good movie. This nourished my soul more than they could ever know. It somehow gave me permission to just sink into the couch for a while.

I could go on and on . . .

When I stop, look at the above list and think about how the Lord moved - I mean really moved- through His people I am astounded and humbled to have truly experienced the touch of His hands and movement of His feet.

And then, of course, the knowledge that the ultimate display of the Lord's love - Jesus' death and resurrection - would one day reunite us with our baby. That thought alone moves me to praise. . .

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18


So, here we are. Temporarily living in a fallen world that unfortunately includes all kinds of pain and heartache.

But what an amazing Lord we have that buffers our pain with acts of His love.

Pain producing praise . . .let us not miss the miracle in that provision.

Apparently, perspective is everything.

1 comment: