Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Unfailing

I usually try to stay away from very personal posts on this particular blog, but this thought came to me so strongly last night that I had to post.

Whatever is going on in your life right now, whomever or whatever has walked out or walked over your heart, no matter how bad it is - and no doubt that some of you are in unbelievable circumstances right now - listen up:

Your God has not failed you.


Justice may have failed you. Other humans may have failed you. Living in a fallen world may have failed you. But your God has not.

Last fall my husband and I lost an already much-loved baby only 7 1/2 weeks into the pregnancy. I'm reminded even more so about this as we just passed the baby's Man-given due date, although I know that was never the date God had in mind. Please understand that a loss at any stage is still the loss of a child and we grieved intensely. It was a hard, hard road that came with many questions - my thought process started to sound like the book of Job with various versions of the same question: Why?

And one day as I poured over Scripture, the following verse leaped off the page and said to me clear as day, "I did not fail you."

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
Psalm 13:5


If you read the context of that verse the author is lamenting and praying for relief from despair. But he knows to trust the God who loves him unfailingly. A love that does not fail. He has not been failed by God.

I was not failed by God. I had to cross that off the list of possible reasons for this unfathomable occurrence in our life.

In the midst of life's trying circumstances it is so natural for us to question God. I know I've done more than my fair share. But I think God is okay with that - he allowed Jacob to wrestle with him for an entire night when He could have squashed him in a nanosecond.

But my point today is that in the wrestling don't forget that God loves you with an unfailing love. It is impossible for Him to fail His children. Let Him love on you during this trying time and don't let the enemy deceive you into thinking God has anything but perfect, unfailing love for you - His child.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for your wonderful post. the reason i started reading your first (other) blog in the first place is b/c i was going through the beginnings of the aftermath of a miscarriage and Kristen said I might get some comfort from your blog... she was right, I did. Thank you for that... then you started this blog, and your words inspire me. Thank you. I'm praying for your loss, b/c I know, that like you said, no matter how far along you are, a loss at any stage, hurts. I was only 5 weeks along, but we were so thrilled to be expecting, b/c we had been trying for 8 months that he just hurt so bad. We went from pure joy, floating on cloud 9, to devastation w/in one week. You're right though, God did not fail either of us, or our husbands. He has the perfect plan, no matter how much that hurts at times... Anyway, this is way too long, I really just meant to say Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C - thank you for your prayers and sweet comments. You have no idea how encouraging your words were to me today! The word "aftermath" is SO appropriate for that immediate time after a miscarriage. I am so sorry for your loss and I will most definitely be praying for you as well . . .hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post ~ i needed this post;)! i always love and appreciate how transparent you are with your thoughts, i praise God for how He is using you to help and encourage and bring light to me and i'm sure so many others!
    it's only become apparent to me in recent months how it's satan that is behind the doubt and the fear and the uncertainty. i know it sounds so simple, but i don't think i ever "got" how it was the enemy who was creeping in and getting in the way of the truth.
    thanks for being in my life! i know we don't see each other often butknowthe connection i feel and have always felt from the moment we were assigned to the cake;) has been such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy: :-) Always an honor to have you stop by!!

    Rachel: Yes! The enemy! I'm with you - I feel like I'm just now starting to "get" how much the enemy shows up in my life under the guise of a bazillion different things. I know - I wish we saw each other more but I feel the same way. That cake bonded us, girl! ha ha love you!

    ReplyDelete