Tuesday, March 20, 2012

And....Done.

Children never cease to amaze me with their insight. They have this uncanny knack to beautifully untangle truths that we adults have complicated, over-analyzed and picked apart.

Now, call me biased, but I happen to think our oldest daughter is extraordinary at this. She is a very deep thinker and possesses an understanding way beyond her years. And, although I'm accustomed to this, she still knocks me off my feet every now and then.

This happened just a few nights ago. Part of our bedtime routine is reading out of a fabulous little devotional book for girls. It always starts with a passage of Scripture and then follows with some kind of application.

Our bedtime devotional reading that particular evening was centered around how God has gifted each of us with certain abilities to build up other believers and also bring glory to God. After a brief chat about what gifts God had given her, my daughter relayed this conclusion to me...

"Mom, you know how when you get someone a birthday gift and then they open it and love it and play with it a lot? And that makes you so happy to see that they like it and play with it a lot, a lot? Well, I think that's kind of like God and the gifts He gives to us and it makes Him happy when we use them a lot, a lot."

Speechless.

After I recovered, all I could finally say was, "That is simply the best explanation of that I have ever heard."

And then our devotional was done. Because, really. What else could I add to that??

What a beautiful picture of what it really means to bring God glory. To bring Him complete joy as He watches us enjoy, cultivate and use our gifts as He intended.

I don't know about you, but the thought of bringing the Lord joy makes me want to use my gifts. And, like my daughter's analogy, play with them a lot. A lot, a lot. :-)

4 comments:

  1. oh what a gift that little girl does have!! and what a gift she is to you and brad and your family - i bet God loves watching y'all with her also ;) love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete